Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Word of Wednesday - Villagent, Denouement, Sneakret

   I love words.  I read them a lot.
   I'm not as good with correct English as I am with knowing a lot of words and how to spell most of them.
   I find word usage very funny sometimes, for example, when someone "uses that word a lot but I do not think they know what it means" to paraphrase the Princess Bride.  A couple of weeks ago during a lesson in church the speaker used the word "villagent" a few times when they were going for diligent or vigilant but it actually works out into a cool combo-word.  It might have even been on purpose to try and start a new word.  My sister is promoting the combo-word "sneakret" for being sneaky in secret, I think it might be a bit redundant but it could catch on.
   I laugh at myself when I hear words that I have read and know the meaning of but never learned to pronounce, the other day my theater major sister used the word denouement (said = day-new-mah) and I asked her what it meant, when she told me I had to laugh because I've always read it den-you-meant but I know what it is (dictionary = the final resolution of the intricacies of a plot, as of a drama or novel).

No comments:

Post a Comment