Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thursday Thoughts - Half Baked by Stevenson

    I know, I know, I talked about this on Monday, but Half Baked by Alexa Stevenson is still very much in my thoughts.  I finished the book.  It's a "tragedy with a happy ending" and aside from some profanity that may not have been entirely necessary to make her points, I found it strongly meaningful.  I laughed and cried, sometimes over the same few words.  I'm still not sure if I liked the book, I know I don't want to read it twice, as it brought all kinds of anxieties bobbing to the surface of my mind like little bits of flotsam from a ship I sank long ago.  I remember when I was younger I would work out the long chains of horrible events likely to occur in the near future similar to, but much more dire than, the If You Give A Mouse A Cookie type books.  It's good to know I'm not the only one who somehow left that behind by having children.  Now I don't have to imagine it, stuff just happens.  I can be grateful that all five of mine have been of the "shaved sharpei" variety; I'll never be able to squelch that little giggling voice chanting 'shaved sharpei' when I see a healthy baby (I'm already wrestling with it over my cuddly five month-old) as it's a little too apt.

No comments:

Post a Comment