Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thursday Thoughts - Modesty

   People today have lost touch with values, decency, and living right.  Political correctness and laissez faire attitudes have created a people living at the lowest common denominator.  Most of us have a basic idea of right and wrong but anyone caught using this knowledge is vilified or labeled as 'out of touch with reality'.
   We desperately need a return to modesty in all its forms -  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/modest
   I was in a nice restaurant on New Year's Day and the woman ahead of me going into the dining room was wearing jeans with multiple holes in them.  She was neither slender nor young and while the jeans were obviously part of her designer wardrobe it was immodest in many ways;  I could see bits of her behind that I didn't want to be exposed to, she'd spent way too much on a fashion trend that will soon pass, and she was drawing a lot of attention to herself (I'm pretty sure my reaction wasn't the only negative one).
   Another example, I have a niece in her early teens who posts profanity to her online social network pages.  I have asked her not to post foul language because my young children like to read their cousin's posts.  This young woman replied that I need a "reality check".  I have blocked her posts but I have not removed her as a friend, she's a teenager after all, they aren't the best at reality.
    Resist the temptation people!  Modest dress, modest spending, modest speech, modest appearance!  Use the brain you have been blessed with and realize these choices will benefit you in the long run.
    There are not enough police in the world to control a population who no longer respect values and laws of society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment