Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Funeral Potatoes

   As depressing as they sound they're actually a really tasty casserole and I made them last night using leftovers from holiday dinners.  I call them funeral potatoes because they are one of the standard dishes served at funerals in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Pure comfort food.
   Last night I didn't use a recipe card because I just wanted to use up all the leftovers.  This means I also didn't really measure anything.  It's a super forgiving recipe for this type of cooking.

What I put in last night:
5 cups leftover mashed potatoes
2 cups diced leftover ham
1 can cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup leftover sour cream and onion chip dip
1/2 Tblsp onion flakes
1 1/2 cup shredded cheese

Put potatoes and ham in a 9x12 baking dish kinda fluffed in there so the sauce can get into the cracks.  Combine soup, milk, pepper, salt, sour cream dip, and onion flakes; pour mixture over potatoes and spread it around a bit, top with shredded cheese, bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.

Ideas on substitutions-
You can use all kinds of potato based things in this, hash browns, baked potatoes, boiled potatoes, any kind of frozen potatoes like french fries or diced bits.
Ham works best but I am okay with spam instead.  It's pretty good without meat too.  I don't put in frozen veggies because my kids won't go for it but the peas and carrots are good in this recipe.
For the chip dip you can put in plain sour cream or something with some flavor added.  This batch was a bit "oniony" but my kids liked it so I was happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment