Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ham and potato casserole - write down what you did

My mom has this thing where she makes lots of recipes with little alterations or completely from her imagination and if it turns out well we laugh and say "You should write down what you did!" but we don't usually get it written down and the next time it doesn't turn out quite the same.

So last night I made a casserole that the family all liked. Only problem, I used a recipe from a cookbook as a guideline and threw in substitutes where I didn't have the right ingredients and then threw in a few things from the back of the refrigerator just to use them up.

So it went something like this:

7 medium potatoes, peeled, diced, boiled for abt. 25 min or until tender
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cup (approx.) left over frozen hash browns maybe a tiny bit freezer burnt, thawed out
1/2 cup mayonnaise because I was out of sour cream
1 Tblsp of the Costco dried onion flakes because raw onion always makes me feel ill when I'm pregnant
2 big handfuls of grated cheese, I'm guessing that makes a cup and a half to two cups or so? with my kids the more cheesy the better
2 cups (approx.) of diced ham left from Sunday dinner so only slightly aged

I put everything but the boiling potatoes into a bowl and stirred until well blended, then I drained the potatoes and put them in a 9x12 baking dish then poured the mixture on top and kind of mashed/stirred it together. I looked for the potato chips or corn flakes to sprinkle on top but since the kids had finished off both of them I gave up and put the pan in the oven just like that for 25 minutes at 350.

Everyone said it was really good. Andrew ate it with both hands (he eats everything that way though so I'm not sure it's a good indicator).

Jared asked how I grated all that potato into it, I rolled my eyes over that one. I'm not sure if he knew we had hash browns or they would probably have been eaten already.

No comments:

Post a Comment