Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Word of Wednesday - Besom and Espadrille

   Both of my words today have to do with the world of fashion, a world I rarely visit.
   While looking online for pants for my father I came across some that might fit him and read the details of the description which included 'besom pockets'.  Now a besom is a broom so I thought this was possibly some kind of cross between bosom pockets and the behind/seat of the pants.  I looked it up and came to find that a besom is indeed a broom, but a besom pocket is a kind of flat pocket with a seam around the slit.  So you can't keep a broom in your pocket.
   My next dilemma came in the form of some wedge shoes with that rope stuff stuck to the outside of the wedge.  What is the name of the rope stuff?  I am not sure of the answer but I did learn a bit about espadrilles while looking into it.  Espadrilles are flat with a rope sole and canvas type top and have a history of being the shoe of necessity in poor areas.  So these wedges have an espadrille association but I still don't know what that stuff is called; probably just 'rope'.

No comments:

Post a Comment