Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thursday Thoughts - Princesses

I read an article in Parents Magazine about how the whole princess thing has gotten out of hand.  Too many little girls are being sold the whole princess package and being taught that they are supposed to be all about the accessories.  I could see the point of the author.  I have met more than one parent with spoiled little kids who believe they "deserve" everything and are their parents little prince or princess.  That sense of entitlement ruins people.  Work and earning what you get are such important concepts in life, even small children can learn to earn things by doing small chores.  I let my kids have a few princess toys, I want them to be able to imagine a happy ending, but I also talk to them about right and wrong and give them plenty of opportunities to help around the house.  Good values come in a lot more handy than glass slippers.  I don't buy the whole anti-womens-lib aspect of princesses, most of us have kissed a frog and turned into a real girl by the time we're big enough to be getting liberated and whatnot so I'm going to let my girls play princess while they can.

No comments:

Post a Comment