Monday, February 7, 2011

Mommy Monday - Breastfeeding

   I've never given my kids formula.
   It takes a super freakin' LOT of work and devotion to achieve this.
   I'm at the first teeth stage with Jessica which is when I always have to take a few days to assure myself that I do indeed want to keep at this even though this small person is now ARMED and dangerous.
   I've been extremely fortunate and am very grateful for my success at breastfeeding.  It works for me and my babies.  I've never had major problems, no thrush outbreaks, my clogged duct issues resolved themselves, and the dreaded engorgement-in-the-middle-of-the-night-so-I-can't-sleep-because-the-baby-has-decided-to-sleep-for-more-than-five-hours-straight-for-once is my worst complaint mostly because that kind of irony just makes me question the general workings of the universe.  I wish breastfeeding wasn't such a controversial issue.  It bothers my husband when I breastfeed (always modestly covered up) in the same room with other people, this makes me sad.  I work too hard at it not to feel supported and appreciated.
   Formula isn't a bad thing, I was a formula fed baby and so was my husband.  I'd say something about how we turned out just fine but we're both a little nuts, however I can't attribute this to our infant nutrition.  I encourage other breastfeeding moms but I don't discourage moms who use formula, I'd like more people in my "club" but I don't feel like we're choosing "teams" if that makes any sense.  Healthy kids are a goal that can be reached by many paths and women who are insensitive about the options don't help people like me who are just looking for a little acceptance and a quiet corner to feed my baby in.
   I have five years of practical experience, if anyone wants some encouragement or advice just let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment