Sunday, January 8, 2012

Whack-A-Mole

     You know that game? The one where you have the big hammer and you have to hit the heads that pop up out of the box? I've seen it at arcades and the Chuck-E-Cheese here has a version with shark heads...
     Anyway, it's sort of my mental image of my husband at night.
     Let me explain.
     We have five kids. For some reason my kids are not the best sleepers. My husband, on the other hand, is an EXCELLENT sleeper. My kids will wake up at night needing food, drinks, comfort, diaper changes, someone to clean up the barf, etc. and I will be the one to handle it. The kids or I can try to wake up my husband but it just doesn't work. His head will come up, then it falls back onto the pillow. Hence, Whack-A-Mole.
     Very few times have I given in to the temptation to actually whack him with anything. I am super proud of the restraint I have shown. The few times I did whack him it was usually with a pillow. The whacking has never had any effect. He has no memory of any of it the next morning.
     Also, I've decided it's safer to just get up with the kids and handle it myself rather than forcing my semi-conscious husband to get up. See, there was this incident shortly after the birth of our second child... Well, it all turned out fine but after the ER visit I decided the peace of mind was possibly more important than the sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment