Thursday, January 5, 2012

RIP Ella Kathryn Grover 1925-2011

I just found out this week that Great Aunt Ella passed away back in September.  I never met her, and only got a couple of cards from her years ago but it makes me sad to see the last of the Grover siblings pass away.  My husband's grandfather was Miles Allen Grover.  Miles had two younger full-siblings, Kaleel and Ella, and some half-siblings from his father's previous marriage that I'm still trying to sort out.  Ella was my last hope of someone who actually knew some of the people I can't seem to find information on, like Miles's first wife, Jeanette?  Joanne?  something?... My mother-in-law is the daughter of Miles and his third wife.  Anyway, the family doesn't appear to have been real close in life and Miles didn't talk about his family very much that anyone remembers.  I've heard from the family that Ella wasn't well and wouldn't be able to help with information.  I wrote to her a few times but didn't hear back.  I wish we could have connected.  I know she's at peace now.  Maybe she can help me out a little from the other side.

Here's some of what I have found about the family (as always, I welcome corrections and additions!):

William George Grover - born 30 Mar 1883 in Eden, Erie, New York, died 13 Aug 1946 in Buffalo, Erie, New York
first married- about 1901 to
 a mystery woman who I would love to find out more about.  If you find them on the 1910 census, please, let me know!  (PS- some people believe her name was Pearl LaPress but I've got some evidence this is a mistake)

children:
William Roy Grover - born 10 Jul 1902, anyone know when he died?  the last I hear of him was the 1920 census...
Louis Byron Grover - born 27 Apr 1904 in Buffalo, died 11 Mar 1938

second marriage - 26 Jan 1920 in Buffalo to
Vera Helena Hevner - born 25 Jan 1902 (a few months older than his son?!) in Hyner, Clinton, Pennsylvania and died 1 Apr 1969 in Los Angeles

children:
Miles Allen Grover - born 9 Feb 1921 in Buffalo, died 13 Nov 1994 in Greenville, South Carolina
Kaleel George Grover - born 21 Sep 1922 in Buffalo, died 25 Sep 1981 in Odessa, Texas
Ella Kathryn Grover - born 20 Nov 1925 in Buffalo, died 26 Sep 2011 in California

1 comment:

  1. I found the mystery woman! Her name really was Pearl La Press, just not the daughter of Fred but the daughter of Louis! Yay for the 1905 New York State Census that got indexed recently.

    ReplyDelete