Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Denim Quilt I Helped Make


So this is actually something my mother, sisters, my kids, and I finished about two years ago but I wanted to put it on my Pinterest so I'm sticking it on my blog.  Ah, the wonders of technology.

It's actually a King size quilt which was a great present for my husband as he's a big guy but it can pretty much squash a small child with the weight.  We won't make one this large ever again.  The kids and the grown-ups each pieced together a square or two so it's got lots of individual touches.  It came out really well  The back we made from cheap flannel blankets we found on sale.  There is no batting or filling.  We used my mother's Bernina sewing machine and the denim foot attachment to put it all together.

To get uniform shapes we used a few pieces of cereal boxes cut into a square, a triangle, a rectangle, and a long rectangle, all measured to fit each other and leave a seam allowance.  Then we traced those onto old jeans of various sizes and colors and cut them out.  We messed around with the design a lot and had a great time voting on what squares were "artistic/creative" enough to add to the quilt (submitters ranged in age from two to senior discount so there was a lot of variety).

It turned out out so well we started on another SMALLER quilt and have plans to make one that is sort of a chess board with pockets for some kind of stuffed or beanbag chessmen or just checkers...  Check back in a few years to see if we finish that project.

No comments:

Post a Comment