Sunday, November 14, 2010

Curry Chicken

    A few weeks ago my husband had curry chicken at a restaurant near his office.  He came home and told me how much he liked it and asked if I could make it for him.  I told him I had no clue how to make curry chicken but I had curry and chicken so if he could find a recipe online that looked like what he ate I would be happy to try making it.
    My husband works for a company owned by a Chinese couple and my husband told the wife that he was looking for a recipe for curry chicken.  She brought him a box a few days later that contained bricks of curry stuff and told him how you cook them.  This was a lovely gesture on her part and my husband was excited to try it.  One slight difficulty, the box had instructions all in Japanese.  So my husband tried it and liked it well enough. I didn't love it or hate it but the spicy taste and the onions involved made it a dish I have to be careful of while breastfeeding our new baby. I just wasn't thrilled with it enough to want to eat it again.  None of the kids liked it.  Since my husband said it didn't taste like what he had at the restaurant we decided maybe the lack of English instructions had somehow foiled his attempt at curry chicken.
    I googled the only words I could read "ankee chicken" and google said "Was I looking for Yankee Chicken"  ummmm... no.
    So next I googled Japanese style curry chicken, lo and behold, on YouTube there was a lady using the box just like my husband had used and there were SUBTITLES! for the instructions she was giving as to how to make the dish.  Hers was pork though, not chicken.  Then I found a lady speaking English and cooking curry chicken just the same way my husband cooked it.  I watched both videos, my husband cooked it the way it was supposed to be cooked.
    Since the kids won't eat it and I was only okay with it we have decided it just isn't something we will be making again.  Maybe we can find the recipe for the chicken dish my husband had in the restaurant another day.
    Here are the links to the videos in case you want to try it.  I still have an unopened package of the curry stuff if you're interested.
    Here's the lady with the subtitles, watch the end of the video to see the little kid react to the dish the same way my kids did.
    Here's the lady speaking English, her food looks just like what my husband made and she assures us that her family likes it so maybe yours will too.
    I found it very funny that the kid's reaction in that first video needs no translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment